Thursday, April 10, 2014

I is for "Woman Ironing" by Edgar Degas, 1869

Degas did many paintings and sketches of women ironing.  This preparatory sketch is not like the "pretty paintings" of ballerinas and some of his other women subjects.  I am also including a finished oil of the same subject. 

A laundress was at the bottom of the social scale in France in the 19th century.  It was difficult work (an understatement), did not pay well, and in those conditions, heating the irons on a coal stove, the physicality of pressing hard on the starched cotton for very long hours, caused all kinds of health problems.

Why this subject for Degas?  This was the time of Emile Zola's stories of the lower classes in France -- pithy, sympathetic?  Class distinctions are very apparent, lower classes are not attractive, even morals are questioned in art and literature.   Questioned, criticized or brought to light?  

Contrast these paintings with Degas's painting of his grandfather.  

You can make these images larger by clicking on them.

Woman Ironing.  1869.  Charcoal, white chalk, and pastel on paper.,Dover publications, Inc. Mineola, New York.
Women Ironing. 1884-86.  Oil on Canvas..  Dover publications, Mineola, New York.

11 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry Steve, I deleted your comment. I respect your religious beliefs, but feel that they have no place in this blog. I am writing about Art and a particular artist.

      Delete
  2. Even in their physically draining job, there is a determination about these women. they are exhausted, but they do not stop. I admire that.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I thought about how easy we have it. Fabrics that don't wrinkle. Washers, dryers, steam irons for the few things we do iron. Perhaps in some way, Degas admired it too.

      Delete
  3. I am learning a lot about the work of Edgar Degas and I think he touched a very important aspect of the life of ladies in those times. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Life was hard for the "lower classes," especially women. Thanks for your comment, Munir.

      Delete
  4. Those days are long gone thank goodness. I hate ironing today and it is so easy compared with what those women had to cope with. Great paintings by Degas. He really was a very varied artist. Or his subjects I guess I mean.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate ironing as well. My poor mom, I remember her ironing bag where she would keep her clothes sprinkled with water, waiting to be ironed, and if she did not get to it, they would mildew. What I also remember is how little I helped her :(.

      Delete
  5. Hi Natalie .. it was an appallingly hard life .. and they couldn't stop because they felt exhausted, ill, or anything else as there'd be no money .. no time for quick cup of tea and a sit down ...

    The contrast between his works is interesting to note .. the one of his grandfather looks painstakingly and lovingly done .. his art as a subject was a 'work' ... adding to the mix as others in society were doing with their literature, music and art ... changes were afoot in all walks of life ..

    Cheers and gosh am I glad I didn't live then ..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree that it was a hard life not having modern conveniences. I like my conveniences. I actually love ironing, but then again I don't have to it for a living and I have the comforts of home to help me endure.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Hilary and Teresa. Such a man's world then--and I do like to see men in crisply ironed shirts (from the cleaners) not from my hand--wearing them. But we are lucky these days, we can choose.

      Delete