Tuesday, April 15, 2014

M is for Mary Cassatt by Edgar Degas, c.1884

Degas and the American artist Mary Cassatt were friends.  Her struggle, besides trying to support herself as an artist, she was a woman working in a man's profession--art.  She shared with Degas the opinion that an artist could not have a personal life but had to devote his life to art.  Degas helped her, taught her how to work in pastels and admired her talent, but not directly. This portrait of her shows her with a half smile and bent forward as if she were listening.  And notice the touches of white in the painting -- perfect.

But, this is a quote from Degas after seeing some of her etchings, "I will not admit that a woman can draw like that."  Another quote,"Be sure to give the same expression to a person's face that you give to his body."
Mary Cassatt.  1884.  Edgar Degas.  Oil  on Canvas.  Dover  Publications, Inc.  Mineola, New York.

11 comments:

  1. A very nice portrait of the artist Mary Cassatt. Degas had such sensitivity in his paintings. I like the way some of the artists helped their peers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I do too. A little like writers who critique each others work. But it does help. One artist I like, and whose work I try and copy, would hire a model for himself and other artists to sketch, saving money and having critiques at the same time.

      Delete
  2. Thanks for visiting my site, and for leading me over here! I have been perusing with much interest your posts about Degas. Very informative! When we go to France I hope to see some of them in person!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You will, what a trip it will be. Planning is half the fun.

      Delete
  3. All paintings with which I was not familiar. This is another interesting one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I liked this painting of her and I think that she would have been pleased as well.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Doh! I have just noticed that this is part of a Degas A to Z. I must be a bit dumb. When I clicked to follow your Blog loads of your recent posts appeared in my reading list.Excellent.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks, Bazza. Please, please tell me how to do the circle thing--how do I communicate with you?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha. What circle thing? Not sure what you're referring to here! Are you having trouble commenting on my Blog? You could email shamp123 AT sky.com.
      CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

      Delete
  7. The expression on this lady's face are so realistic that one can forget it is a painting.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Natalie .. interesting how Degas couldn't really admit she was comparable with him and other recognised artists .. it certainly shows Mary Cassatt interested in the goings on ... cheers and Happy Easter - Hilary

    ReplyDelete