Friday, April 18, 2014

P is for Pedicure by Edgar Degas, 1873.

The Pedicure painting, Oil on canvas, 24 by 18 inches, painted in 1873 by Edgar Degas.  And that, bloggers, is all I have been able to find out.  So, we study the painting.  It seems to be that of a young girl who is having her toenails cut, by a gentleman.  Is he a doctor? or?  She is wrapped modestly in a sheet and though she is sitting on a couch, because of the bureau behind her, this might be her bedroom. 

The Pedicure. Oil on Canvas. 1873.  Edgar Degas.  Dover Publications. Inc. Mineola, N.Y.


This is one of those "key hole" pictures.  We are looking at this scene as through a key hole. She might be ill or?  A rather odd subject for a painting, but if Degas himself said that he liked to paint subjects especially women, in familiar and typical attitudes, this would fit. The light shining through the sheet is what makes this painting so serene.

16 comments:

  1. The girl seems so comfortable and nonchalant, I'd guess the gentleman is her dad, and this is typical weekly hygiene.

    Happy A-Zing
    Laurel's Leaves

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. She does seem comfortable. I guess we don't think of women in the 19th c. having a pedicure.

      Delete
  2. I love to paint (not good at it, but enjoy it). I think she has a sliver in her toe and he's trying to get it out for her. :-)
    I'm your newest A to Z follower, and I look forward to more of your posts.
    Deb@ http://debioneille.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. The fact that she is covered by a sheet and the man is dressed formally makes me think that he is a doctor. The scene is almost surreal.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think so. Perhaps her toe was infected. But I agree, the scene does seem surreal.

      Delete
  4. Beautiful. If you like Degas, you should read the novel, The Art Forger. Very interesting. Stopping by from the Challenge. Hope you'll visit back to see my theme of quirky quotes. www.widowsphere.bogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I did read it and found it interesting the way you can make a painting look old and what it takes. The Art Thief is another good book.

      Delete
  5. Most definitely a medical gentleman which is why she is covered for modesty. But what an odd subject to paint.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree. Perhaps it was the end of a physical exam, or doctor's visit for something else?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Natalie - she could have been ill couldn't she, yet she does look comfortable ... we will continue to wonder I suspect ..

    Happy Easter ...cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like the idea of there being a mystery about a painting or writing. Happy Easter to you, Hilary.

      Delete
  8. What an unusual subject for a painting, yes, she could have been ill. You can imagine the painter looking through a keyhole and then creating this picture. I have never heard of it before and I appreciate learning new things about this wonderful artist. Thank you, Natalie.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hello Natalia. This painting really illustrates the many strands of Degas' genius. You are Posting at a very high level, especially considering the pressures of A-Z (which I will never do!)
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  10. Notice I have not submitted the "Q" post yet:)

    ReplyDelete