Thursday, April 17, 2014

O is for Woman/ Girl with Opera Glasses by Edgar Degas. c.1866-68.

Woman with Opera Glasses was painted by Edgar Degas c. 1866-68.  Since this almost fit the "O" catagory, I decided to use it from my DVD collection from Dover Press.  In trying to find out something about the painting I stumbled upon this artist's blog, which at first glance was about copying this painting.  As I scrolled down I saw the photo of the work and then her beginning sketches, and then. . .the sad words, her little boy who had Cockayne Syndrome, died during the time she worked on "Girl with Opera Glasses."

There is a sweet photo of Knox in the background, watching his mother as she works.

One of the surprises of this challenge, is what you may uncover, through others or just your own research.  And I noticed that two of our famous bloggers, discovered her many weeks ago.

I am adding her blog address.  I would not presume to paraphrase what she wrote about Knox.  

http://bluepurpleandscarlett.com



Woman with Opera Glasses, Edgar Degas, 1866-68.  Oil on cardboard.  Dover Publications, Inc. Mineola, New York 







13 comments:

  1. Works like that make me wonder what the person in the portrait is looking at. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Another unconventional pose. Degas has others with opera glasses but they are more "traditional." (She is looking at you David :) ).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Natalie .. I'll be back to comment - but Degas - is Inge "DevilWinds" G for Gaugin http://devilwinds.blogspot.co.uk/2014/04/a-to-z-challenge-g.html and

    Giulie Castillo http://guilie-castillo-oriard.blogspot.co.uk/ just looking at her wonderful photo will make you laugh with joy ...

    Ah yes I see you meant Scarlett - I met them in September when they flew to England for a Cockayne Syndrome family get together .. I hope you get to watch Madelaine's film on Knox - quite incredible .. it's in my link .. the film is called "Love Has Wings" ... so so very well worth watching:

    http://positiveletters.blogspot.co.uk/2014/01/love-has-wings-by-madelaine-clay.html

    Apologies for adding these - but I'll forget later .. and hope everyone else won't mind .. I don't think you will, I'm glad to say .. the links and friends we make are priceless in our blogging world ..

    Cheers for now - Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like her dress. Sheer but so nicely lined.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I just went over to that site. I would think that she is daring. Wow.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad that you did, Hard to keep up with all the terrific bloggers.

      Delete
  6. It is, but a bit of a puzzle. Not a standard painting.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Beautiful picture but not as awesome as that fabulous photograph - wow
    Nice to meet and connect through the atozchallenge. http://aimingforapublishingdeal.blogspot.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, CC. Would not mind being on that ship right now, gliding through the glaciers.

      Delete
  8. It is a lovely painting, I really like your theme for the challenge, I am sorry I missed it this year, enjoying seeing what everyone is doing.

    ReplyDelete
  9. But you can just relax a bit and enjoy the view!

    ReplyDelete