Wednesday, October 29, 2014

El Dia de los Muertos, 2014

Part of apron fabric--"auto
El Dia de los Muertos, or The Day of the Dead, is a commemorative holiday celebrated in Mexico and other Latin countries, but especially in Mexico on November 1 and 2nd.  This day honors the dead, not with sadness and morbidity, but with food, flowers and remembrances. I first learned of this holiday when I was teaching high school in Los Angeles and this is  how a student of mine explained it.  "Mrs. R, it's boring being dead and once a year we remember my grandfather by giving him a little party.  We make an altar with foods he liked,  his special beer, with photos of us, with flowers and take it to the cemetery.  We light candles and remember my grandfather." 

 To celebrate, sugar skull candies are made and a special bread, Pan Muerto.  Figures are created to represent the dead doing everyday things, like playing marimbas, being in a mariachi band, and many other activities,  but always with a skull face.  The tradition says that on November 1st and  second, the heavens open and the souls of the dead return to earth to connect with their relatives. Not  a bad way to remember those we loved. And. . .my thanks to Vanessa Portillo who told me the story of her grandfather.  I am sending her good wishes through cyberspace.  

This is a copy of the first part of a blog post I wrote last year and a link to the creative creations of El dia de Los Muertos And. . .I bought this apron in Santa Fe this past summer and could not resist illustrating this post with a section of the fabric.

7 comments:

  1. In Ireland, a prayer vigil was held on Oct. 31 all day, through the night and to the morning Nov. 1. Mass was said for the souls of the departed, and candles were lit. It was a holy, a very holy day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think these things are all connected but in various ways in different cultures. We try and understand what is ahead and although El Dia seems to make light of death and the departed, I don't think it is disrespectful, We mourn in our own ways. The Irish as well.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like learning about traditions of other countries. I haven't ever been to Mexico, and don't know if we will ever get there, so thanks for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. HI Nat - we don't do that here in England ... but I think the Catholics do .. and no doubt the many cultures who co-exist with us. It is fascinating to read others' ways ... and then give us a greater understanding of life in different countries.

    The Apron is brilliant - so pleased you posted for us ... cheers Hilary

    ReplyDelete
  5. But you do have an Autumn celebration--"Guy Fawkes Day." I loved it when I was there. All of Winchester came out to see the bonfire and ask "have a penny for the Guy?"

    ReplyDelete
  6. It's strange, but that festival seems somehow not to come across as being creepy in any way. I think it's a healthy way to celebrate those who have passed without being overly sad.
    CLICK HERE for Bazza’s fabulous Blog ‘To Discover Ice’

    ReplyDelete
  7. The creativity is what I like. Every time I go to Santa Fe, I try and find more little figures.

    ReplyDelete