Wednesday, April 4, 2012

D is for Dog

There are dog people and cat people in the world.  I am a dog person, always have been.  And, I confess, I like large dogs best.

The hard-to-resist Harlequin Great Dane on the couch is one of my favorite photos, but unfortunately, not my dog.  Great Danes are gentle and wonderful with children, but need room obviously, and the owners need a rather large dog-food budget.

Some years ago, we purchased an English Setter puppy in Deerfield, Massachusetts for $85. Papers were included and we were in love with her unusual coloring, a tri-color, tan, black and white.  There is another story concerning why we bought her but that will be under the "T" day.

After moving back to Colorado, my husband encouraged me to train her with the thought of entering her in dog shows later.  A few years, much training, and showing later, ta da. . . .

Presenting:  Champion Lady Guenevere of High Tor!  Yes, "finished" her myself.

Fast forward to this year's Westminster Kennel Club Dog Show where dogs have to already be champions to enter.  The last hour of the show which takes place in Madison Square Garden,  and is a big deal in the dog world, a huge honor is to win best in show which means winning in many ways, some financial.  These dogs have already won in their class, Sporting Group, Working Group, Toy Group, Non-Sporting, Herding, Terrier and Hound.  Some of the dogs were therapy dogs at home.

The dogs were outstanding, all brushed, fluffed and ready for their close-up.  The German Shepherd, the Irish Setter, the Doberman, the Poodle, and the smaller ones all looked outstanding enough to win.  As the judge examined every one going over their confirmation, and watching their walking gate, I tried to pick the winner, but I knew there was one that could not win--the Pekingese, just a fluffy little ball of fur, waddling back and forth.   One last walk/run around the track with the handlers doing their best.  I held my breath. . .Oh No! the Pekingese won!


Did you have a "best" dog in your life?



22 comments:

  1. Lovely post! I adore dogs. I met a Great Dane when I was out walking the other day, they are amazing dogs! I couldn't get over how huge he was, but so graceful!

    I have a springer spaniel called Mackie, I don't know what I'd do without her. She used to sit on my lap as a puppy and hasn't stopped even though she's a big dog now! Whenever I sit down to read a book she jumps up into my lap, inbetween me and my book. So cozy!

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Goods Morning Nikki: What time is where you are? I am sitting at my computer and it is 6:04 AM. I know many of our bloggers write at night or in the early morning hours. The dog blog did not say all I wanted to say about dogs and Jenny was not my "best dog", I had a Gordon Setter for my last, best dog. I don't have a dog now, very sadly, would love to have one near me when I am reading.

      Delete
  2. AWww.....love the photos! We love our dogs. (Better than I like some people.) Our Gordon Setter (mix - she's a rescue) - Roxy continues to challenge us every day. Someone told us when we got her that it would get easier when she turned 5. Perhaps it is. She's smart and pretty and has a mind of her own. Our other dog, Matthew who was thought to be a flat-coated retriever but maybe not - is gentle, loyal and extremely loveable! Great post - I'm watching the Dog Show next year and rooting for the big guys!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We have a golden retriever named Cleo, the light of our lives. We bought her in Egypt and she's amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This would be a great story for the "E" part of the challenge. How do you buy a dog in Egypt?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am definitely a dog person! We have a family dog, a mix of Golden Retriever and Irish Setter. She has problems with the retrieving part ;-)(Stopping by from the A-Z challenge)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I have loved all of our dogs, but I did have a "best" dog in my life. A beautiful Treeing Walker Coonhound. He didn't have papers, but it didn't matter. There was not doubt to his breed. Miss him.

    Your Lady G. is a such a pretty dog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I could never pick a favorite...they are all my children. I too was shocked at the Pek winning though...I loved my Tyson but never thought he was show winning material...I wonder about the judges some years.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I read that the judge at the Westminster had three Peks which makes you wonder because the others dogs were so outstanding.

      Delete
  8. My favorite dog was a hybrid. He lived with us for 14 years while our kids were little. He treated them like puppies. We all miss him.
    A to Z Visiting: http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great Post! Your dog is beautiful. My first dog was a wonderful black lab named Shadow. Since she was my first dog and all mine, she has a special place in my heart. Now we have a jack russel named Charlie, and she is also fabulous (if not a little high strung).

    Krissy
    (visiting from A-Z)

    ReplyDelete
  10. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Congrats on your champion & she is beautiful! Such unique coloring!

    We consider ourselves "bi-petual". We have both a cat and a Beagle, I wouldn't be able to choose which one I love more!

    Sorry if I posted twice!

    Lisa, Random Ramblings

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love big dogs two. Little dogs are too yappy and high strung. Our dog died a few years ago and I miss her so much. She was a beautiful Samoyed and we rescued her from some people who didn't appreciate her. she was sweet and loyal. I still tear up sometimes when I think about her. I do like cats too though. We have always had both a cat and a dog and it's so fun to see how they become friends. So sorry your dog didn't win. She's beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My dog never went to Westminster. The photos were from a while ago. But I just wanted to chat about the show. You are terrific for adopting a rescue dog, that is what I would do now. They do become part of the family, though and in many ways help us to become better people. Thanks for checking in Mary.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I am a dog person too and I grew up with a Great Dane. Yours is beautiful! Now I have a very bossy chihuahua :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I remember meeting Jenny when she had a large litter.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I remember meeting Jenny when she had a large litter.

    ReplyDelete
  17. With dog shows I feel like it's either the furball or the husky who wins. Lady Guenevere is lovely!
    I've only owned one dog so far in my life. Rusty. And I picked him up from the pound before one Christmas.
    He truly completed my life.

    ReplyDelete