Friday, April 6, 2012

f is for France


She always had a love affair with France, especially Paris.  Her first image 
of that magical city was from a book that was read to her as a child.


"In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines,
lived twelve little girls in two straight lines."


She was a Parisian girl, self-made, fitting some kind of template in her 
mind, elegant, chic, and thin.


 Now, living her dream in her dream city, she had friends, a challenging job, 
and a handsome, married lover.


Even as she waited for him, she thought of the deliciousness of those past
clandestine meetings, but she sensed that L' affaire was over.


"Let's walk," he said as he saw her.  She heard the words in a fog.
". . .moving to Provence,. . .can't see you again. . .think of those happy times 
we shared. . .blah blah blah."


With a quick kiss, he was gone.


"In an old house in Paris that was covered with vines lived. . ." or did they?


That pinkish-grayish Paris twilight, that she had always loved, turned 
suddenly dark.


She reached into her handbag, yes the pills were still there.


  Using a photograph as a prompt.  Photograph attributed to "Travel and Leisure."

14 comments:

  1. Hello! This is a haunting but lovely passage. I definitely want to visit France some day.

    I really like writing from prompts (I do a feature on my blog of writing prompts & exercises called Wednesday's Writing Workout) and photos are always excellent for triggering inspiration.

    Nice to meet you and happy A to Z!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice, well-written story from a beautiful photo. Like Laura, I'd love to visit France sometime.

    Love the "Madeline" reference!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I love France more in my mind then actually being there. Does that make sense? Thank you for your comment, I do love that Madeline book.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, this was so lovely! I love France in my mind too, that makes sense to me. I heard that in Japan they actually have therapy tailored to people who are dissapointed on visiting Paris because it doesn't live up to the image they had in their mind!

    Nikki – inspire nordic

    ReplyDelete
  5. WOW-- great post! wonderful story and pic!

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  6. hmmmm i never thought about paris not living up to my image--beautiful post

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh la la. Oui Oui i love it. Thanks for the visit.
    dreamweaver

    ReplyDelete
  8. Poor girl. Such an image of her crash landing back in reality. Beautifully done.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  9. Such a sad story. Would be interesting to see the same story through his eyes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great idea! I just may do this tomorrow instead of what I had planned. Thank you! I was going to continue in her words but now. . . .

      Delete
  10. Beautiful passage. I'd love to visit France, especially Paris. The closest I've been has been a short layover in Paris and I could see the Eiffel Tower from the plane. So close, yet so far away.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I think Paris can definitely be disappointing, but if you get off the beaten path there are so many wonderful things to see and do: the Catacombs, nonchain hotels with friendly proprietors (especially if you always stay at the same place), Canal St-Martin, the African street markets near Montmartre.... Now I miss Paris!

    Great story based on the prompt, and as others have said, it would be interesting to get his POV.

    ReplyDelete