Saturday, April 28, 2012

Y is for Yesterday




"Yesterday" by Paul McCartney and the Beatles. Such a haunting song which introduces my "Y" theme.


Yesterday is such a fluid word--what if yesterday were tomorrow and tomorrow was in the past?


The Aymara Indians see future as behind them and the past in front of them.


Are we going in a linear or circular path?


The best description of the ambiguity of time is F. Scott Fitzgerald's last lines from the The Great Gatsby:


"Gatsby believed in the green light, the orgastic future that year by year recedes before us.  It eluded us then, but that's no matter----tomorrow we will run faster, stretch our our arms farther. . . .And one fine morning----
So we beat on, boats against the current, borne back ceaselessly into the past."




******************************************************************
Thank you all for this writing journey together.



16 comments:

  1. What a perfect Y post. That song will be in my head now all day. I'm stopping over from the A-Z challenge and following now too. This has been so much fun hasn't it? Have a great weekend and a great final challenge day :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yea, Martha! You are my 75th follower. I need to send you something. I will think about it. It has been fun and I love your toes photo, how perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my all-time favorite songs! Great postings - loved following you in this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, CQ and Lynn, you both have been great supporters.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that I found your blog on the A-Z path which appears linear but feels circular ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yesterday is the perfect song and your post was rather plaintive like the tune. Perfect pairing of song and Gatsby quote. YES! Our journey's almost done on a to z. Been a good quest.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Trying to wrap my head around time leaves me feeling...small.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But large in spirit, Stephanie, that's what counts.

      Delete
  8. Joanne, Stephanie, and Kate: I think I was in a nostalgic mood for "Y." I have more time in back of me than in front of me, which leaves me philosophical in my blogging, I noticed. I have enjoyed this challenge and not only have I learned more about others their interests, goals and family, I have learned a few things about myself.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the song Yesterday. Its too sad to listen to but I love it anyway. Bittersweet.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great quote from The Great Gatsby- I really loved that book

    ReplyDelete
  11. Stephen Tremp, it is sad, but you need the sad times to appreciate the happy times. The Great Gatsby is one of those books that can be read many times, perhaps at different times in your life. And, Sonia, It's a great question to mull over in one's mind. Thank you all for your comments as we are winding down.

    ReplyDelete
  12. One of my favorite songs...brings back many childhood memories with my mom. Thanks for stopping by my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Oh, I love this song so much! I am a HUGE Beatles fan!!

    ReplyDelete