Monday, April 9, 2012

H is for Hobbes:


Introducing Hobbes:  a stuffed lion puppet and my alter-ego.  I wanted to share our once-in-a-lifetime trip around the perimeter of South America by writing this book for my grandsons.  And I thought I would take  Hobbes, and tell the story through his eyes, taking photos wherever we went.  And so. . .Hobbes is a published author, thanks to www.blurb.com.  Our trip was magical and it was even more so with Hobbes.  I learned how to say in Spanish, "I am writing a children's book for my grandsons."  and on we went to 23 destinations  from Los Angeles  to Miami in seven weeks.  I could insert my own thoughts about people and places, the beauty, the poverty, the homeless dogs in Chile, the brave Antarctic explorer Ernest Shackleton, and my favorite poet Pablo Neruda and much more.

















Hobbes took on a life of his own.  Our stewardess from Estonia became part of the story as she put Hobbes in different scenarios in our cabin.:  Hobbes doing yoga, Hobbes with his own dune buggy, Hobbes having a little party in our cabin while we were at dinner.  He was "Mr. Hobbes" to her.  If you would like to see the first 15 pages of the book, the link is: http://www.blurb.com/  Click on "Bookstore" and then "Hobbes Goes to South America."  I encourage all of you to check out this website.  Their prices are reasonable and it is fun to publish your own book.  I don't sell this book as I would have to have permission from all the people we photographed in order to do this. But I bought quite a few for members of the family and friends.  Take a look at some of the books; they are well done.



This was the inside of the cover.

18 comments:

  1. Hobbes is absolutely compelling. His character comes through in your photos. No wonder you love him so.
    Rhia from Five Minute Piece for Inspiration (around #800 on A to Z Challenge).

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did go on your web-site. Have you ever used puppets in your interaction with your children? When my grandson was first diagnosed with autism, he did not speak very much but talked to Hobbes about everything, school, etc. Hobbes was magical.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I was a first grade teacher, and have had children with autism in my regular ed classes. I am always struck by these students' amazing strengths and gifts, and how even when you feel you are not communicating, they are picking up on just about everything for later use when an outlet presents itself. Some were singers, artists, athletes, or mathematicians.
    Find (I imagine you have already) and foster that gift, and keep pouring in all the love, knowledge and experiences you have to give! It's all being stored up, even if you don't see it yet. BTW, stuffed animals were a great connection in the classroom, for ALL children.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hobbes actually "talks" (your hand goes into his head). A gift from a Macy's Christmas promotional years ago. Thanks Donna, these kids do have some surprising and amazing gifts; they remember everything that is said as well and do use the information later.

      Delete
  4. What an incredibly neat thing to do for your grandkids! Such fun. My kids and I make an annual Adventure Book (got the idea from "Up"), and they look through them constantly.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wasn't that a great movie? Scrapbooks are a special way of keeping your family history, and you are a history buff, so you appreciate diaries, letters, and historical accounts.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I think I'm in love. Hobbes is hot!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mr. Hobbes replies: "Thank you Miss Kathleen, anyone with a name like Kathleen Valentine has to be pretty hot herself."

      Delete
    2. LOL! Well, there was a time....

      Delete
  7. This is a GREAT idea! Your grandkids will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Patty. I had so much fun writing it, so did Hobbes.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love Hobbes! New follower here. I’m enjoying reading my fellow “A to Z”ers. I look forward to visiting again.

    Sylvia
    http://www.writinginwonderland.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, what a great idea to make a book for your grandkids. Do you know toyvoyagers.com? It is a page for travelling toys, like your Hobbes, where you sign up and then have a travelog for the toy. You post updates with pictures that show the toy exploring the world. You can even send them along to human hosts who show the toys around their hometown.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have heard of versions of this. Do you know about Flat Stanley? This is a folded figure of a boy who travels around the world or wherever kids or adults send him by mail and seems to be a universal 4th grade project.

      Delete
  11. This is so sweet! What a wonderful idea! Mr. Hobbes is quite cute, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. My son had a "turtle blankie" another one had a "Pig"-- I just love these kinds of imaginary friends for little ones.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Isn't childhood wonderful? The names kids make up for their stuffed animals are priceless. Blankets and stuffed animals are comforting, I think.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hop over anytime. I need a little luck, just to get used to blogging every day, trying to be interesting and getting to know the other bloggers.

    ReplyDelete