Friday, April 20, 2012

R is for Russian Girl


Russian-American, Russian, First generation Russian girl?  What was I?  I was born in New York City of parents who were born in Russia, pre-Revolution.  The definition of first generation is a child born of immigrant parents, here in this country.  My mother came to this country in her teens, my father came later after a perilous journey leaving Moscow during the Russian Revolution of 1917, living in Paris for a few years as many "White Russians" did, and then on to New York.  He and my mother met there, married, had two daughters and later came to Colorado.  His story is very fascinating, but unfortunately, as many emigres, he did not share very much of his past, preferring to start anew here in the United States.


My first language was Russian.  Although my parents spoke English, they spoke only Russian to me, as they correctly anticipated that once I started school I would quickly learn, and switch to, English.  This was my opportunity  to learn Russian.  And learn the language I did.  My parents spoke the beautiful pre-revolutionary Russian, which after the Revolution, changed.  The alphabet was shortened and many "bourgeois" words, were removed.  And. . .yes, once I started school and learned English, I refused to speak Russian.  I did not want to be different; when I was seven we moved to the Midwest and there were no Russians at my school or in our neighborhood.  I wanted to fit in and my family was different.  My mother had an accent; she worked--unheard of in my neighborhood.  And on Russian Easter, a priest blessed our home, walking around outside in his long robes, swinging the incense container and chanting prayers.  I prayed that no one would see him.


What have I learned?  First, my one regret is that I did not keep up the Russian language, I lost it.  Yes, I still understand a little and I can say a few words and when I hear Russian spoken in a store here or in a public gathering place, I lean in to hear more, and tears come to my eyes.


Our parents died when my sister was 20 and I was 27, so they never knew how much we appreciated them and all they went through and now we treasure our heritage.


If you know another language, share it with your children.  It is a tremendous asset.  It's hard to keep a bilingual home, but you can make it a game, make it your secret language to be used and practiced just with the family.  Of course, having a grandmother in the home who does not speak English helps, but my parents spoke excellent English, and they finally gave up.


The next two blogs will continue the Russian theme, "S" for snow, a story about my mother, and "T" for travel.  I'll share some travel pictures of Russia.


Thank you for reading this very personal blog.  Read Tina's blog (www.kndlifeisgood.blogspot.com) about learning Swedish, and see what a happy experience knowing another language can be. 



20 comments:

  1. What a great pity. I do so agree, if you have another language you should make sure your children learn and keep it. I have German friends who's kids don't speak a word of German. Such a shame.

    Couldn't you get CDs and refresh your Russian that way? I have found CDs of other languages do help. Of course, if you can afford Rosetta Stone they are a wonderful language system.

    Good R post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words. I have tried over the years, even taking Russian in college where the professor, who was from Soviet Russia, told me not to use some of the words I learned as a child because they were "bourgeois" words. Can you imagine being told that? Then, of course, life gets in the way, and now writing about this in the challenge, I just may try again.

      Delete
  2. looking forward to the pictures of Russia

    Happy A to Z
    baygirl32.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Baygirl32. Only a few more letter to go and they are the hardest.

      Delete
  3. This is so touching. Thank you for sharing, and I look forward to reading more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. great post, very moving. your love for your parents really shines through.

    xxo
    MOV
    ps-- loved the line about "I prayed no one would see him!"

    ReplyDelete
  5. what a rich childhood you had and great advice :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Lynn. I did not see it that way when I was growing up, but we do "grow up."

      Delete
  6. Thanks for sharing your story. My husband's grandmothers were German, and one of them lived with him when he was a child. He speaks German - just a little with our kids. I didn't appreciate it as much until I read your post.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh those grandmothers! Aren't we lucky to have had them if we did, even for just a short while.

      Delete
  7. wow - very personal indeed, and I'm sure your parents did appreciate how much you wanted to blend in. They were probably very proud of their "americanized" children. Interesting stories abound. I shall look forward to the Russian theme posts.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks, Joanne. These days it is an asset to speak more than one language, especially in this job market. And I would encourage college bound kids and others to consider polishing their language skills.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good writing. You definitely found a way to express those "conflicted" feelings. I wish I knew my parents native language.

    ReplyDelete
  10. The need to be accepted is a universal one. In India, its trying to be westernised and fluent in English to be accepted into multinationals, compete in a global market or be a part of the elite strata of society. Most of the educated ones are bilingual, the mother tongue(parental language) at home and English or Hindi in school and workplace. Since we have around 28 states with atleast 23 major Indian languages, living in a state whose local language doesn't match yours makes many of us. And then add the option of learning other foreign languages to the mix.
    but the younger generation in cities is shying away and focusing more on English and Hindi.
    Your love and appreciation for your parents shines through.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Dear Rek: Ah yes, fitting in, such a problem especially when one is young. Thank you for your comments about India, I am learning so much through this challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun to find out that we have some commonalities in how we were raised. I always thought I was first-generation since I came here when I was a kid, the first to "grow up" in America. I wonder how I'd be categorized...perhaps some research is in order. I have tried to make it a game with the Swedish for the boys, but they're just not very interested, and my husband has preferred I not push it.
    Thanks so much for featuring my blog and sending your readers my way. Unfortunately, you got my address wrong, it's kMd, not kNd. I'll stick my link in my signature.
    I also want to thank you for so faithfully following and reading all my posts. it's an honor to have you visit every day.
    Tina @ Life is Good
    Co-Host of the April A to Z Challenge
    Twitter: @AprilA2Z #atozchallenge

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry, Tina. I have to be more careful. I wanted to show bloggers that learning another language can be fun; You have made it fun for so many bloggers. Perhaps the key is to live in another country for a few years. Your boys could do an exchange program in Sweden (perhaps).

    ReplyDelete
  14. It's so unfortunate that you lost the language. I see this every day with the students I teach. Many have parents that speak predominately Spanish, but the students speak mainly English. Not only are they losing their heritage, but they're unable to communicate fully with their parents and older relatives. And sadly, many don't realize what they could've had until it's too late.

    ReplyDelete