Sunday, April 1, 2012

A-Z Writing Challenge, Day One



a is for autism


April is autism month.  New statistics show that one child in 88 in the US has some form of autism.  I am highlighting a novel, The Curious Case of the Dog in the Night-time, by Mark Haddon. It is about a boy in the UK who has Aspergers, a high functioning form of autism, who is accused of killing a neighbor’s dog.  It's a short book, written in the first person which gives the reader some sense of how someone with autism thinks. Concrete thinking is the key to understanding someone with autism -- no nuances.   But the book, despite its serious theme, shows Christopher John Francis Boone, who knows all the capitals of the countries of the world and all the prime numbers up to 7,057, to be a funny, sweet, interesting kid.  Christopher sets out to find the killer, using his favorite character Sherlock Holmes, as a guide.

This is a great book for book clubs, and anyone interested in trying to understand autism.  There are dozens of web sites, and one I recommend is  www.templegrandin.com.  Dr. Grandin is a professor of animal studies in Fort Collins, Colorado and she is the subject of an excellent  movie, Temple Grandin, with Clare Danes playing the main character.  Dr. Grandin's website has a Q&A which she answers herself.  She is an amazing lady who, because of her autism,  her ability to "think in pictures," devised methods for the more humane treatment of cattle at slaughter houses and that is just one of her many talents.

In February, I wrote a very short story called, Red Car, Blue Car.  It's on the February 7th date of my blog.  It is about an autistic child, but not without hope. There is always hope. Why this subject?  My grandson has autism.

22 comments:

  1. great post highlighting a serious topic.

    best,
    MOV

    ReplyDelete
  2. The numbers are extremely scary, but everything I've heard about autism makes me believe that these children could quite possibly be some of the smartest. If we could get a handle on the negative effects, maybe we could help them become some of the smartest members of our society. Again, I don't know much about the disease, but I know there is hope, and I know that some of the people afflicted have amazing talent.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Theresa. Your words give me hope.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post. I've read this book and found it fascinating.
    {Dropping by from the A-Z Challenge :-)
    Best wishes!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Lisa. Sometimes I feel sad about my grandson and my son, his family and especially his older brother. I want so much to be able to do something really big like give millions to research and to be able to help families here in Colorado. I do what I can but it isn't enough. . . .

    ReplyDelete
  6. I remember your short story from the Trifecta challenge. It was very touching, as is this personal entry about autism. Thank you for sharing the challenges and the hopes for families of children with autism.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We are lucky. My grandson is mainstreamed, reads, writes, is funny and sweet, but struggles in school and. . .he knows he is loved. Thanks, MP.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Lisa - found you through the A to Z challenge. :) This post was great, and The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Nighttime is one of my favorite books. I read it years ago, but still think of it frequently. All the best to you (and your grandson!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I've read the book. I agree that some of the people with autism are brilliant and have some amazing talents. I am in contact with autistic teens on a regular basis at the school where I work. Excellent A post - spread the awareness!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least to have some understanding is good. One year, some kid made stickers for himself to wear which said,"My brother has autism" to explain some of the public meltdowns, etc.

      Delete
  10. Have you read Icy Sparks? I read it years before working with children with autism at the elementary level, and don't remember how accurate it was. I did enjoy The Curious Incident.

    One of my friend's has a five year old with autism. She is very concerned right now because of the possible reclassification of autism and Aspberger's to only non-verbal autism being covered in the DSM, and therefore, by insurance. Terrifying possibility, and I simply don't understand it. I have not had a chance to do any research on it, though.

    Shannon at The Warrior Muse, co-host of the 2012 #atozchallenge! Twitter: @AprilA2Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. All I can tell your friend is to contact her local representative if this is a state bill. I am not sure what DSM means. I would just park myself in front of his office. This means that only kids who are in the extreme range can get help. My email is: natasha.r@comcast.net if I can help her at all.

      Delete
  11. Since I work with special needs children, I read that book when it first came out, and liked it very much. I also notice that it is Autism Awareness Month--way to get the word out!

    Visiting from A to Z.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. Sometimes a novel like that encourages people to read it, even though they themselves have no contact with anyone with autism.

      Delete
  12. Thanks for the gr8 kick off for autism month
    Love and hugs for your family as they face autism
    Here's to a great month of A to Z

    ReplyDelete
  13. Just ordered the book for my kindle. Can't wait to read it. So much has been in the news in the past couple of days about autism - hope that this "awareness" month continues to help get the word out.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks for the gr8 kick off for autism month
    Love and hugs for your family as they face autism
    Here's to a great month of A to Z

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think we'll all have fun with it--like a big party where everyone is talking and the place has a happy feel.

      Delete
  15. I love that book! I read it and so see my son in it (generally with a smile on my face). Great recommendation to start out Autism Awareness month! Look forward to reading your other A to Z posts... thanks for stopping by Mom-ology.
    cheers,
    jen

    ReplyDelete
  16. This was a favourite of mine too!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Have you read The Speed of Dark by Elizabeth Moon. She too has an autistic child. Wonderful book.

    ReplyDelete