|Hobbes in Antarctica, heading toward the Bismark Strait|
My name is Hobbes and I am so pleased to be able to write this blog today. I do get bored, very, very bored, so "Lover of Words" thought I might like to join the A-Z Challenge. I will call her "LW" in this blog.
I was born in 1984 as part of a promotional for Macy's Department Stores at Christmas-time. Every year Macy's would offer a stuffed animal puppet for a small fee if you bought $50 worth of merchandise. Chloe, LW's sister thought that I would be a perfect gift for LW and I was! It was love at first sight; I loved my new family, and one of LW's grandsons named me Hobbes after his favorite character from, "Calvin and Hobbes."
Most days, unless LW has little ones for guests, I just sit around and enjoy looking out at the Colorado scenery, but when children come to visit, they love to play with me and make me talk, as they put their hand in my head and make my jaw move up and down, and as a special treat (for me) sometimes, I share their bed and they read me stories.
1. Favorite movie: "Out of Africa"
2. Favorite song: "The Lion Sleeps Tonight
3. Favorite outfit: The jean jacket I was dressed in when I was adopted; it has a gold star on the back. It makes me feel like a rock star.
4. I am a published author: Hobbes Goes to South America, a book I wrote with LW's help about my seven-week cruise around the perimeter of South America with LW and her husband. We wrote the book so she could share her trip with her four grandsons.
5. Volunteer work: Once a year I am invited to Childrens' Hospital, here in Denver to read to some of the patients on Dr. Seuus's birthday.
6. I am the first one in my family to have seen Antarctica.
7. I was always looking for lions in South America, but sadly there were none, I just saw a puma in Patagonia.
I have many more stories about my once-in-lifetime trip, but they will have to wait until LW allows me to write another guest blog. Are there any stuffed lions or tigers out there, perhaps we could start our own web-site.