Friday, April 27, 2012

X is for Xylography or wood engraving, especially of an early period.


St. Petersburg, 18th century
Early  wood  engraving of St. Petersburg, Russia with Admiralty Building in background.
Thank you American Heritage Dictionary for this word, Xylography.  This is  an illustration for a children's book, depicting St. Petersburg, which was a ship building center, during the time of  Peter the Great.  The small figures in the middle are wearing 18th century costumes.   This woodcut was purchased years ago from a friend  who had visited the Soviet Union.  I am not sure of its age, but it is pre-1917, I think.  The years after 1917 did not focus on the positive aspects of Russian history pre-revolution and St. Petersburg became Leningrad until 1991 when the name was changed back to St.Petersburg.


The woodcut is small on this blog, but you can enlarge the engraving by  click ing on it and  you will see more details.


Note:  If any one has any information about this wood cut, especially any Russians who view this blog, comments would be very appreciated.  And of course,  all a-z bloggers.  I have learned so much during this challenge.

12 comments:

  1. I don't feel like I appreciate woodcuts as much as I ought to so I sat and stared at this one a good long time *stares more*. It's interesting the details I picked out that I'd missed the first time :)

    I also read your blog about the Wall Street Journal and I totally agree with you that having someone send you newspaper clippings via real mail is a lot more meaningful than just another email with a link in your inbox :)

    ~ Rhonda Parrish

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you, Rhonda. I had a larger image but it bled into the right part of the blog and some of my followers with it. So, I had to make it smaller. WSJ was good today, Fridays and Saturdays are best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Russia: fascinating people, fascinating country. They endure so much and produce such lovely art.
    Kate
    http://whenkateblogs.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. . . .as Chhurchill said. Thank you for all your comments over the past month.

      Delete
  4. That's a wonderful word for a lovely art. Very good word!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hobbes has been wondering where you have been. He says hello and thank your for your comment for lover-of-words.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Would love to know more about the woodcut!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi CQ: See Geoff's words below, I learned something more about the print. Would be interested in learning how old it is.

      Delete
  7. Hi.
    I had a friend who used to do woodcuts. I'd seen some of his work, but never saw him actually doing any, so I Google'd woodcut and watched a short video on how it's done. I was wondering what kind of wood they used because of the fine detail. Wood has grain and to be able to get such fine lines you would have to use a softish wood with very fine grain, or so I imagine. Very interesting. This must be how they managed to print those very early illustrations in books, they use a book press to transfer the image to paper.
    Through your choice of words I've learned something very interesting, thanks.
    Blessings, Geoff.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Geoff: Thank you for your words! Wood is something that Russians had everywhere, so I could see why early printers used wood. Metal engravings would be harder to manage, but the patience it would take. . .Years ago I was in Russia and saw the wooden churches, the curved domes which we were told were made with no formal plans, axes only and no nails.

    ReplyDelete
  9. lol i chose that same word. lol

    http://storytreasury.wordpress.com/2012/04/27/x-is-for-xylography/

    ReplyDelete
  10. A beautiful woodcut...I can see that you love history as I do! Just stopping by from the Challenge...one more day!

    MakingTheWriteConnections

    ReplyDelete